Mitel in Education Brochure
“Mitel allowed us to integrate our legacy Alcatel system, so we could migrate to the new Mitel system as time and budgets permit. It was relatively simple to set up the basic integration. We can easily transfer and pick up calls between our Alcatel and Mitel systems.”— Carlos Alberto Franco Reboredaz Technology Education Coordinator University of Guadalajara
Mitel in education
- Scalability: Dealing with multiple campuses or buildings? Managing legacy systems in the midst of changing demographics or significant growth? Mitel helps ensure your system expands to support your needs as budget and resources permit, and without demanding a costly infrastructure overhaul.
- High availability and reliability: When parents, teachers, students, and staff need to share vital, or even safety-related, information, Mitel answers the call for reliable uptime around the clock—while maintaining superior features and voice quality.
- Ease of use and management: Mitel provides effortless, intuitive communications for all users—from administrators to students—eliminating IT complexity, and the need for extra training or niche skills.
Regardless of size or academic capacity, educational institutions all share a need for advanced, reliable communications systems. Not only must students, staff, parents, and teachers regularly communicate to share critical news and updates, but they must often do so from mobile devices, remote locations, or extended campuses. What’s more, the populations on those campuses are typically in flux as students graduate, teachers move on, and administrative headcount shifts. That means scalability and ease of management on a secure and highly available platform are extremely important.
To top it off, most schools also now expect superior communication service and collaborative capabilities that incorporate the latest technologies and media—often integrating new with old. And while this is an industry focused on learning, no one has the luxury of spending hours in training just to grasp basic phone features or understand system management.
For many educational institutions, the challenge is that educational budgets and IT resources rarely reflect these high expectations. As a result, schools and other educational facilities must endure an ongoing lesson in delivering quality on limited operating expenses.
Fortunately, Mitel provides a brilliantly simple solution for educational institutions. Our IP telephony system with fully integrated unified communications (UC) provides the cost-efficiency, rich feature set, reliability, and simplicity needed by the education industry to function, serve, and succeed:
- Scalability: Mitel efficiently handles ever-changing populations of users, campus expansions, and legacy integrations—so IT staff can rapidly conduct moves, adds and changes without massive infrastructure or technology costs.
- Availability and reliability: Mitel delivers the superior 24/7 reliability and performance levels required to help ensure communications quality and student safety.
- Ease of use and management: Mitel’s intuitive interfaces and features make system navigation and upkeep simple, so users have easy-to-use tools at their fingertips to help them be productive, and administrators save time and IT resources to focus on core educational projects.
Even better, the Mitel system turns these advantages into a winning combination: lower total cost of ownership (TCO) and higher customer satisfaction.
- Federal: GSA Schedule 70
- National: NASPO-WSCA
- National: KCDA
- National: PEPPM
- National: TIPS
- National: USETPA
- State of California (CMAS)
- State of Georgia
- State of Kentucky (KETS)
- State of Minnesota
- State of North Carolina
- State of New York
MitelAt the head of the class
- Mitel has a global presence, with product support in multiple languages around the world.
- Mitel has been named best overall VoIP provider for six years running by Nemertes Research.
- Mitel consistently wins awards and industry accolades for its exceptional focus on customer satisfaction.
Mitel’s unique architecture distributes intelligence throughout the system and is designed with N+1 redundancy built in for high availability.
As districts widen and consolidate, and campuses spread, growth is often an unavoidable challenge. Very few educational facilities have the resources to make a complete system overhaul when switching to IP-based communications. For most campuses and districts, accommodating growth takes time and must incorporate the ability to migrate transparently between technologies.
With the Mitel UC system, administrators can easily perform moves, adds, and changes to take on thousands of users across many locations, even as they ensure a natural integration process between Mitel and legacy systems. Here’s how we make it work:
- A distributed, switch-based architecture with modular scalability, to grow as needed.
- Straightforward integration with existing phone systems gives you the agility to grow your system as time and budget permit, even in hybrid environments.
- Mitel Director, our browser-based management interface, also enables plug-and-play deployment—so you can activate new accounts with the click of a mouse. Mitel Director immediately recognizes and configures all active Mitel IP phones on the network, eliminating lengthy manual processes.
Availability and reliability
Many educational institutions are more than just classrooms or offices—they are homes for thousands of students, who need to know they can communicate with friends, family, teachers, and staff at any hour. And that need for reliable communication isn’t only an educational requirement; at times, it’s a matter of safety. When school administrators are responsible for the well-being of students, they must provide a telephone system that functions without fail during emergencies, and that offers parents real peace of mind.
Mitel provides maximum availability to educational facilities, so they can effectively eliminate the risk of downtime:
- No single point of failure, so if one component experiences difficulty, traffic data automatically reroutes to other voice switches.
- N+1 redundancy means a single Mitel Voice Switch can back up any number (N) of other switches. The Mitel UC system also sustains redundancy through embedded call control, distributed call control, and failover for IP telephones, Public Switched Telephone Networks (PSTNs), Ethernet ports, and power. These advantages combine to deliver more than 99.999 (five-nines) availability.
- Unique features—including Office Anywhere, Find Me Follow Me, E911 emergency notifications, and built-in messaging— empower users to maintain mobility and connectivity, even in remote campus locations or during an emergency.
- Because the system uses the PSTN, Mitel can deliver reliable voice quality even when Internet accessibility isn’t possible.
Ease of use and ease of management
When your primary occupation is either teaching, studying, or managing a learning curriculum, you want your technology to support your efforts—not complicate them. Educational institutions need phone systems that are simple to navigate and that promote strong collaboration, without compromising on response time, service quality, or functionality. System administration must be centralized and straightforward to easily fit within the reach of small IT departments and minimize the need for helpdesk support.
Mitel’s IP telephony system simplifies use and management across the board:
- Clear-cut navigation and features require little to no training, so users and administrators gain familiarity almost instantly.
- Mitel centralizes voicemail and email for one-stop communications management. Mitel Director allows administrators to access the system from anywhere on the network and easily manage every site and feature, including voicemail, automated attendant, and desktop applications.
“The savings we realize every year with the Mitel system—which we estimate at $202,000 per year—are even more than the one-time implementation cost.”— Bill Gruszka, Chief Information Officer Southern Polytechnic State University
- Simple self-service options, based on Mitel’s Interactive Voice Response (IVR) application, facilitate call placement and speed for students, teachers, parents, and staff. Callers can use 4-digit or name-based dialing across campuses or between buildings, and an automated attendant will direct them appropriately.
- Mitel further eases phone system usage with high-productivity features. User-friendly PC interfaces make “on-the-fly” conferencing , including video, and document sharing a snap, so teachers and students can easily communicate regarding important class materials or assignments.
- By integrating Mitel Communicator (formerly Mitel Call Manager) with a desktop email application, such as Microsoft Outlook, callers can easily take advantage of integrated messaging capabilities—including directory dialing, contact screen pop, caller ID, call waiting, and calendar integration. And voicemail messages can be stored and delivered as WAV files, so students and teachers can access messages via email when they’re away from the phone,and system administrators gain a simpler way to keep tabs on support or other requests.
- Mitel’s hunt group capability can also ensure all calls are answered by a live person, rather than by voicemail. For example, calls can ring multiple administrative extensions in a specified sequence or all at once, so callers get ready access and responses—which can be especially important during emergencies or when critical student or class data must be communicated fast.
“The Mitel system was very intuitive, easy to set up and easy to manage. A person can use the Web interface to make moves, adds and changes right from their desk. It’s amazing how easy it is compared to other systems.”— Jeff Roller, Internet Systems Analyst Amarillo Independent School District
Students, teachers, and staff give Mitel high marks
Without a doubt, Mitel’s user satisfaction levels rank consistently highest in the IP telephony space. That’s because our customers’ customers overwhelmingly approve of Mitel features and benefits.
- The extremely reliable Mitel solution helps educational institutions deliver the quality services callers expect, even when the number of users scales up or down, and even when integrating with legacy technologies.
- Mitel’s ease of use and management frees IT staff to spend more time on bigger support issues in need of rapid response.
- High-productivity communication functionality helps students and teachers perform better, while boosting the school’s reputation for quality and achievement.
- Mitel improves user support by simplifying the process of tracking request calls and voicemails–so students, parents, and teachers feel properly attended to when they have questions.
- Self-service options help callers get accurate answers and find the right people fast. No more frustrating call mazes!
- Comprehensive features let users choose voice, video, or data messaging technologies, so they have the flexibility to keep up with the latest trends—which can be important to younger student populations.
BenefitsMitel reduces phone system “expenditures” through lower total cost of ownership
Thanks to its scalability, reliability, and ease of use and management, the Mitel system often helps educational facilities attain full return on investment (ROI) in under a year’s time, and offers one of the lowest total cost of ownership in the industry.
Here are the reasons:
- Superior reliability and N+1 redundancy help cut the risk and expense of system failures or downtime.
- Mitel’s easy-to-use interfaces and unified applications help callers serve themselves and get quick responses—so administrators can minimize helpdesk calls and focus on more productive tasks.
- Newfound productivity translates to lower costs and greater savings, thanks to centralized system access and more intuitive moves, adds, and changes.